Keeping a lush green lawn not only improves curb appeal but also raises the value of your home. Unfortunately, New Jersey residents know that the extreme temperatures and the varying climate in the state can make maintaining a healthy lawn difficult. Follow these tips and ticks to keep your lawn lush and healthy all summer long.
- Use the right grass seed. According to Anne Childers of the New Jersey Cooperator, the heartiest varieties of grass should be used in the state to provide a better chance of surviving extreme temperature. These include perennial rye grass, fine fescues, tall fescues, and Kentucky bluegrass.
- Limit insects and grubs, which can damage both the leaf of your grass as well as the root system. You can limit these pests by using safe pesticides following the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Water your lawn. Your lawn needs approximately 1.5 inches of water to withstand the summer heat in New Jersey. Run sprinklers on your entire lawn for about thirty minutes three times weekly during periods of extreme heat. When the temperature is average in the Spring in Fall you can run your sprinkler for twenty minutes instead of thirty to give your lawn around an inch of water. An automatic sprinkler system can take the science and labor out of lawn watering.
- Follow the one-third rule. Cutting off more than a third of the height of the grass blade (for example, cutting more than an inch off of a three-inch blade of grass) puts undue stress on your lawn. Set your blade at the appropriate height and mow your lawn every three to four days to ensure the grass doesn’t get too long before the next cut.
- Use sharp mower blades. Keep an eye on your mower blades to ensure they’re sharp. Sharp blades make a cleaner cut and grass recovers better when cut by sharp blades.
- Manage weeds. Weeds are not only unsightly but can put your grass at risk. Manage weeds organically by using corn gluten meal in Spring and then activating with water. You can also use a safe weed killer and follow manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Seed your grass regularly to give it the competitive edge over weeds.
If you have any questions about your irrigation needs, our professionals are eager to help. Call today to schedule a consultation at 1-800-WETLAWN or Contact Us.